Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

This Hit Home Today

"Remember that the way to big acreages is through small acreages. You can trade up and invest up out of the profits generated on the small acreage. If you're frustrated on a small acreage, you'll be more frustrated on a large acreage. Refine and fully develop what you have before looking for something else. And then repeat the same procedure there. By the time you let a larger acreage, you'll have the experience and the know-how to be a good steward. If you get too large an acreage too soon, you'll be a poor steward and that doesn't do anybody and good."

~Joel Salatin, excerpt from 'You Can Farm'


Start small. Small is good. Why can I never remember that? 

3 comments:

gz said...

good writing. I think that can be applied to any business or activity.

Wishing you health, happiness and enough wealth in 2013
xx

Anonymous said...

I live in the corner of West Virginia on the Ohio and Kentucky border so visiting the other corners of the state usually is done when I am travelling beyond for another reason. In September, coming back from my high school reunion, I stopped to visit a "micro farm" near Harpers Ferry. They have 5 acres but are only using about 1.5 acres now. With their hoop houses providing low tunnels, they are continuing harvesting their root crops and cold weather greens even now!

Anonymous said...

I just re-read this same passage a few days ago. It was a good reminder for me too.