Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Book Review

While I have many books in my "book crate" this month, I really only enjoyed a small handful of them. But there was one book in particular that I definitely liked...


Yeah, big surprise; it's a book by Joel Salatin. ;) Have I ever mentioned that I like his books?

I had heard a lot of people raving about this book, so I got in line to check it out at the library. Unfortunately, there were already 6 holds on the book before my request, so the wait was long.

But it was worth it.

The Sheer Ecstasy of being a Lunatic Farmer.
By Joel Salatin


Rating: 10
Readability: 10
Impact: 10
Recommend it? Yes!
Read it again? Yes!

What to expect: "From his own pen, Salatin explains both the rationale for and the satisfaction from a solar-driven, pasture-based, locally-marketed, symbiotic, synergistic, relationally-oriented farm. This book describes, with stories and evangelistic fervor, the breadth and depth of the paradigm differences between healing and exploitive food systems. A landscape and food policy epiphany awaits every reader." --Excerpt from back cover of book.

My thoughts on it: When I finished the book, my first thought was: "Wow." I couldn't seem to find any other word to use. The book was filled with humor; so much so, that I started driving everyone crazy with my constant mirth! Can you say, "Mob stocking herbivorous solar conversion lignified carbon sequestration fertilization", five times really fast? I can't either, ;) I guess Joel can, though.
The book continues at a quick pace, which keeps it from getting boring. I loved Joel's optimistic, upbeat attitude that shines through in the book, and was very encouraged throughout the whole thing. You learn about growing soil, portable infrastructures, the "pigness of pigs", relationship farming, and so much more that methinks I am going to have to read the book again! I think Joel is a little more blunt than usual, and a couple of his comments caught me off guard, but it was still a very good, educational read.


Mob stocking herbivorous solar conversion lignified carbon sequestration fertilization.... Don't know why my tongue can't seem to say that.... ;)

No comments: