Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

And So The Long Wait Begins...

Capri dried up today. ("dry" means: not in lactation)

Ivy is dry.

Penny is dry.

And Heidi is not able to be milked yet.

Meaning: I have no goat milk, whatsoever. Ouch.

I had hoped to keep Capri in milk just a leeetle bit longer, so that right when she dried up, I would begin milking Heidi and thus not have a period of no milk. But, Capri had other plans.

So I am now on a "dairy fast". I don't start milking Heidi for 4-6 weeks, which means I will have to go 4-6 weeks with almost no dairy consumption at all. I'll still eat store-bought cow yogurt, but after a year on raw goat's milk, I can't go back to that stuff in the jug.

 To torture myself further, here is a list of praises about raw milk (cow, goat and sheep). Unfortunately, pasteurization destroys the majority of the vitamins, enzymes and beneficial bacteria that is normally found in milk, otherwise I could say that this list is about milk in general.

GOOD THINGS IN RAW MILK:

. Complete protein to build and repair tissues and bones
. Vitamin A for healthy skin, eyes, bones, and teeth
. Vitamin D to aid calcium and phosphorus absorption and for bones and teeth
. Thiamine to help turn carbohydrates into energy and aid appetite and growth
. Riboflavin for healthy skin, eyes, and nerves
. Niacin for growth and development, healthy nerves, and digestion
. Vitamin B6 to build body tissues, produce antibodies, and prevent heart disease
. Vitamin B12 for healthy red blood cells, nerves, and digestion; and to prevent heart disease
. Pantothenic acid to turn carbohydrates and fat into energy
. Folic acid to promote the formation of red blood cells and prevent birth defects and heart disease
. Calcium to make strong bones and teeth; also aids heartbeat, muscle, and nerve function
. Magnesium for strong bones and teeth
. Phosphorus for strong bones and teeth
. Zinc for tissue repair, growth, and fertility.

Whew! That is quite the list! I am already missing my raw milk! :(

Studies have also shown that raw milk has some of the same properties as blood, and while still warm with body heat, fresh milk has the ability to combat and destroy germs, as well as strengthening the immune system.

If you are interested in finding your own source of raw milk, my suggestion would be to start with the Real Milk website. Dairy sellers can be hard to find, but the effort is well worth it!

 I know many, many people have been turned off of goat milk due to a "goaty taste", and to me, that is one of the saddest things to hear. If the milking area is kept clean, and the milk is chilled quickly, and a good breed of goat is used, there will not be even the tiniest hint of goatiness. The breed of goat is really important, as some goats, such as the Oberhasli, toggenburg and occasionally the Saanen, have been bred for generations to give goaty flavored milk. Whereas the Nubian, Alpine, La Mancha and Nigerian are bred for creamy, sweet milk. So if you have tried goat milk before, and didn't like it, try again! A few of my family members claim that they don't like the taste of goat milk, and even say that they can distinctly taste the difference between raw goat milk and pasteurized cow milk. But I can't even count the number of times I have given these family members raw goat milk without them knowing, and they thoroughly enjoyed it! It's pretty funny. ;)

So, wish me luck as I embark upon my dairy-less month; we'll see how I fare...

No comments: