Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Emerald Veil Manhattan Glass

Goat Song Farm is once again graced with the presence of two cows.

And here is the new girl, in all her glory:

Folks, I would like to introduce you to, Emerald Veil Manhattan Glass.

Photobucket


A HUGE 'Thank You!' goes to my dear friend over at Rural Legacy, and her family for letting me have this cow!

A 7 year old, purebred Jersey. "Mattie" as she is nicknamed, is da' boss. At her peak, she milks eight gallons per day, but after milking for over 12 solid months, and has now gone down to a once-a-day milking, she's producing a humble 2.5 gallons. I'm hoping that she'll increase a bit once I move her back onto a twice-a-day milking.

Photobucket


Oh yes, and let's not forget that she's been bred (pregnancy test results are expected in a week or two! Fingers crossed that she settled!), she is A2/A2 (score!), and she came with a spandy milking machine that can take on two cows at a time! Whoop, whoop! 

Photobucket


I keep chuckling over how short and stocky this girl is... Hazel, the Jersey/Holstein was an absolute monster is size, whereas Mattie looks like a dwarf in comparison. I really like this girl's size. She feels manageable. Doable. She leads beautifully, has a sweet temperament, a clean bill of health, and just enough sass to keep life interesting. ;) Peaches absolutely loves her. 

Having her instead of Hazel already feels better, just knowing that I'm starting out with a HEALTHY cow. Hazel had so many problems that it rather overwhelmed this beginner. And of course, having a milking machine is also encouraging! Granted, I'm still a bit daunted and nervous about using that contraption, but Mattie's previous owners gave me an extremely thorough lesson in how to use it, clean it, store it, and repair it. I know I can do it, I'm just nervous about the first few days! 

Photobucket


So here we go again friends. I have another cow. Let's hope that everything works out this time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for you and confident that this will be the right cow. Way to go.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful!
Tasha

Anonymous said...

I love her short legs! Can't wait to see her.
CJ