Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Night Walk

Sometimes, those little, fleeting moments can be the most beautiful of times. As I prepared to close the barn up tonight, I realized that the cows were still in their new pasture which was at the far end of the property. Twilight had gently fallen and everything was dark and quiet... I threw Mattie's halter and lead rope over my shoulder and went to fetch her and Peaches. A coastal wind whispered through the tall grasses in its silvery voice, but other than that there was no noise save for my footsteps. The cows were found, Mattie was haltered, and with no hesitation on my part I stepped off; back towards the barn. Mattie followed meekly as a kitten, with Peaches following six feet behind her.

The three of us walked silently; hooves and boots falling in sync to each other. I felt a slight sensation of awe as I thought about the 900+ lbs. of cow at the other end of my rope. She didn't have to follow me... She could have put up a fuss. Peaches didn't have to follow either, but she did without a rope around her at all. They both followed. Both followed me...

The moon is in waxing form tonight; it's ghostly figure hung from the twilight sky that did not yet reveal stars. It was that moment in time that you are caught just before dusk, but just after sunset. A rare time indeed. I walked still more with my cows, and smiled. The goats were all lying down in the barn where it was warm and comfortable. And I was coming with my two cows behind me. It was just me and my cow girls tonight, with the moon winking at us from above...

2 comments:

Head Farm Steward said...

Very nice imagery.

My heifers still play keep away and tug-of-war. lol.

Unknown said...

You're waxing poetic, nicely done, excuse the pun! It's wonderful how both your girls are doing...