Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

What To do, What To Do...

Peaches is not a happy camper right now. Actually, she hasn't been a happy camper since last week when Mattie died. The poor heifer went absolutely ballistic when she lost her pasture buddy (Mattie). She bawled for 2 solid days, and then turned into a monster, beating up whatever goat dared to go near her. 

Not a whole lot has changed since then. I'm at my wits end with her, and don't know what to do. She needs another cow for company, but what do I do? Keep her and hope she doesn't kill a goat until I can get another cow? Or sell her to someone who already has cows? Peaches rarely caused a problem in the barn when Mattie was around; she basically ignored the goats. But today I found Peaches beating Metty (one of my preggo goats) with her head and horns. Metty couldn't get away from Peaches' onslaught, and said heifer seemed to be on a rampage. I had to bodily push her away from the goat (and she is normally the type of animal who has a 5'-10' flight zone); no amount of shouting could get her attention. 

I love that heifer, I really do. Despite her ornery quirks (almost 800 lbs. and still not halter broken... Ugh.), and the fact that she's been brutal to the goats lately, I can't help but like her. I bought her as a little waif of a calf last year, and she's blossomed into such a nice animal. She's got potential to milk around 10 gallons a day when she's in her prime, too. 

So I'm just over here pulling my hair out as I stress about this heifer. I honestly have no idea what to do with her...



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell her. Cows are herd animals and it's not likely she'll improve her behavior.

Anonymous said...

You could sell her and put the money towards a new milk cow. If you look at it strictly from a business standpoint, it's really a responsible choice. She isn't going to be bringing in any money for a long time even if she does have a lot of potential. And you REALLY need all those goats this year to make up for the hit that Mattie caused to your dairy farm- is it really a risk you want to take that Peaches could serious hurt or maim one of your goats?

Anonymous said...

and no, Caity, that above comment was NOT written by me. I am being very good. :) (Although I must say that I agree with anonymous...)

~Squire

Sherry H. said...

It is really important that your goats are safe...but would it be possible to find someone who would take her for a time while you work on getting another cow? If you don't keep her, will you have to get 2 cows to avoid the same problem with another? Just thinking out loud...hope you find a solution. I would have a hard time giving her up...but then, I am not trying to make a living.

Mary Ann said...

Untrained, that heifer is going to hurt you badly.

FeyWind said...

If I may add my 2 cents, I would say 1) get her halter broken, ASAP ... and 2) I agree with Sherry H. (above) - can you find someone to keep her until you have a second cow? Thus keeping her away from your goats, and giving you a little time to get another bovine?

I am so sorry to hear that Metty lost her kids - that must be another piece of heartbreak for you. I hope things start to look up soon!

Unknown said...

Would breeding her (if she's old enough) calm her down? Having some babies to care for? And I'd get her traind too, and buy a cattle prod if you need too...