Normally I'm excited whenever I buy a new animal. And I've been looking forward to having another cow around for quite some time now. But for some reason, I felt no excitement at the idea of bringing Flash the Jersey home...
I wrote it off as nerves at first; after Mattie died, it seemed only natural that I would be hesitant about getting another cow, and a Jersey at that. But there was still that "off" feeling... Something's not right here. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of buying her. The only thing "right" about her was her price tag. I thought, and thought, and thought, and finally came to the conclusion that the uneasiness I was feeling was due to the fact that I was about to take on a lactating cow that was wilder than Peaches ever was. And Peaches gave me a hard time as it was. Flash is a chronic kicker, she's not halter broken, and she has a 30' foot flight zone; meaning that if you get within that thirty foot bubble of hers, she'll bolt.
Yes, I could have dealt with it. I could have had a ultra rough week and broken her in, but it wouldn't have been fun. I would have needed chain hobbles and/or a kick stop, ( I probably would have bought both), a 20' length of chain so that I could work on desensitizing her without her snapping a rope, and it would have taken a LOT of time. She was also prone to mastitis, and I really didn't want a cow that had that problem.
I did not feel good about bringing that cow home. But at the same time, I felt bad about cancelling on her. So I did what I always do when I'm torn on a decision. I get advice. My council group these days seems to be made up of four people: A good friend, my parents, and my grandpa. The vote was unanimous. Cancel on the cow. Wait for a better one.
So I took their advice, and cancelled on Flash. I just gotta' be patient.
But meanwhile, I do still need a source of income! The cow would have been that source, but now that she's not coming, and I don't think I'll do any cow buying for a couple months yet, I need to switch to Plan B: Microgreens. I've been growing these all winter; tweaking and perfecting methods, experimenting with different kinds, and just generally trying to get a better feel for this little crop. I've never considered myself a gardener, but I have to admit that I love these microgreens. They are fast, fun, easy, and amazingly tasty. I have a huge salad of pure microgreens with my lunch almost every day and I adore it. :)
So since the cow will not be coming this week, I will instead be focusing my attention on microgreens. Getting a greenhouse erected so that I can grow the greens year around, contacting chefs and seeing about getting some permanent orders down, and buying some more seeds. I really do think that these microgreens have potential. Now it's time to put my hunch to the ultimate test.
I was totally not expecting a turn of events like this. But I have to admit that I'm rather relieved knowing that Flash will not be coming after all. I will still get a milk cow eventually. But it will be the right one. I will wait.