Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

I'm Back

Well... What started out as a short day with some friends (I expected to be home by 1PM), morphed into a much longer day, and didn't get home until 4PM! The Saturday farmer's market was awesome.... It felt so -- homey. I felt like I belonged as I walked through the crowd of friendly shoppers, and talked with farmers at their booths. I was kicking myself for not bringing a camera... The building is quite photogenic. ;) An old fashioned, wood barn, lit with string lights and decorated with rustic paraphernalia. A cob oven sat outside with handmade pizzas slowly baking within it's squat walls, but inside was where the main happenings were. A guitarist played in a corner, with impressive skill (and this is coming from someone who is normally not a guitar fan), and the tantalizing smell of fresh bread wafted through the area. I didn't buy anything today, but I do hope to start going there more regularly from now on. I also think that there's a lot of potential there for selling grass fed meats. Do you hear the wheels turning in my head? ;) I listened to what customers were looking for, as I meandered down the three aisles, and while there was a good amount of organic veggies and fruits, the homegrown eggs were the first things to sell out (folks were lining up for these), and people were looking for meat. That was the only thing that wasn't at the Saturday market. Real, grass fed meats. They had artists there, a makeshift bookstore in the back, a dog washing area in the very, very back, soap, jewelry, bread, handmade chocolates, mushrooms, aprons... But folks wanted meat. Hmmmm.

After going to the market, we stuck to our schedule and went to their house to eat lunch and see their Blue Havana rabbits. Oh. My. Goodness. Talk about beautiful. I reserved two on the spot (a buck and a doe), and will pick them up in three weeks. I was willing to pay for my new little charges, but my friends insisted that I could have them for free. Score! :) Methinks I am going to need some more cages soon...

 It rained on our way home... We saw a male Kestrel (a kind of falcon) hovering in a field along the highway, seeming completely oblivious to the rain. I saw him swoop for his prey right before we whizzed past. Hopefully he got some dinner.

 After regaling the day's tales to the family, I went out to see the goats and rabbits. The goats sang softly when they saw me, and made a nuisance of themselves while I threw hay into their manger. The rabbits were contentedly munching in their cages, and silently watched me. 

God's in His heaven. All's right with the world...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer, Caity! I always enjoy reading your blog (which I love the name, by the way)! :D Sounds like you had a fun day!

Goat Song said...

Aw shucks, I ain't nearly as good of a writer as you, Kaylee and Meg. I can't for the life of me write fiction although I wish I could...