Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

IT'S HERE!!!

Whoohoo!! The package came today!!! :) 

It's a...

McNally Strumstick!


One of my favorite instruments was always the mountain dulcimer but alas, I just couldn't play any fast songs on it, without it slipping off of my lap! I told my family that someone needed to invent an instrument that sounded like a mountain dulcimer, but could be held like a guitar.


And then a couple weeks ago, I found the McNally strumstick. 

About a year ago, I had seen an instrument called a "Pickinstick", which looks very similar to the strumstick, but I didn't like its tinny sound. But when I heard the McNally "Grand" (key of D) strumstick... Oh dearie me. That was the sound I wanted...


Another plus: you don't have to know how to read music to play these things!! Which is great for me, as *ahem*, I can't read a lick of music. The strumstick has only three strings, but you only fret one. The other two are "drones" (like a bagpipe), giving it a really nice sound. :)


I was very impressed with the quality, when I received it today. It was already tuned, they sent a couple picks along, as well as a instructional booklet, and a CD. Oh yes, and I got a nice soft cover case to put it in. The wood is high quality, enhancing the strumstick's sound abilities, and the entire instrument is only a couple pounds in weight. I can sling it over my shoulders and I hardly know anything is there! 


And this thing is SO fun to play!! The goats have given their blessing, and said I can keep it. They said it sounds better than my ocarina I sometimes play outside. LOL. It was fun sitting in the pasture playing on my strumstick, watching the goats enjoy meander...


I know, I know... You want videos. I'll get some soon! You can't expect me to give y'all videos when I only just got it! Shucks, I gotta' get the hang of this thing first, and then when I get a little faster, I'll share lots of videos with y'all. I promise. ;)


Want to learn more about the McNally strumstick? Simply click HERE.  You can also find videos and sound clips on their website, so you can hear what these fun instruments sound like!!

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Wow, it's beautiful! I have no musical talent with instruments, and I can't read music either. I hope it all works out!